不可不知道的科學詞彙

很久以前轉載在我bbs上的個版,重新問一下Google發現原文章標題是 Must-Known Scientific Vocabulary 出自 May ’98 issue of APS News。

  • “It has long been known”…….I didn’t look up the original reference.
    “長久以來大家已經知道”……..我根本沒有去找尋原始資料。
  • “A definite trend is evident”…….These data are practically meaningless.
    “一個明確的趨勢是顯而易見的”…..這些數據實際上是沒有意義的。
  • “Of great theoretical and practical importance”…..Interesting to me.
    “在理論上與實際上都非常重要”………只是我很感興趣而已。
  •  “While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to thesequestions”…..An unsuccessful experiment but I still have to get it published.
    “目前還無法對這個問題提出明確的解答”…….這是一個不成功的實驗可是我還是得要讓它發表。
  • “Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study”………….The results of the others didn’t make any sense.
    “我們選擇了其中三個樣品來仔細研究”…………….因為其他樣品的結果完全沒有道理。
  • “Typical results are shown”………..The best results are shown.
    “典型的結果顯示”……………其實是最好的結果顯示。
  • “These results will be shown in a subsequent report”….I might get around to this sometime if I’m pushed.
    “這些結果將在以後的報告中發表”…我根本做不出來,除非我被逼不得已,不然我不會再回到這個問題上來。
  • “The most reliable results are those obtained by Jones”………………He was my graduate assistant.
    “最可靠的結果是由Jones得到的”……….他是我的研究生助理。
  • “It is believed that”……….I think
    “大家相信”…………….只是我認為
  • “It is generally believed that”…….A couple of other guys think so ,too.
    “普遍地大家都相信”….除我之外,另外還有幾個傢伙也相信,但僅此而已。
  • “It is clear that much additional work will be required before completely understanding occurs”………….I don’t understand it.
    “顯然在能夠完全了解之前還有一些工作要做”…..也就是說我不了解。
  • “Correct within an order of magnitude”………Wrong!
    在一個數量級內是正確的”…………….這根本是錯的!
  • “It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigationsin this field”….This is a lousy paper, but so are all the others on this miserable topic
    “希望這篇論文可以在這個領域中激發出更進一步的研究”…….這是一篇很糟糕的論文﹐不過在這個可悲的領域中的其他所有論文也好不到哪裡去
  • “Thanks are due to Joe Blotz for assistance with the experiment and to George Frink for valuable assistance”………Blotz did the work and Frink explained to me what it meant.
    “感謝Joe Blotz在實驗上的協助與George Frink的可貴的協助”……….其實,實驗是Blotz做的,然後Frink解釋給我聽到這個實驗底有什麼意義。
  • “A careful analysis of obtainable data”…….Three pages of notes were obliterated when I knocked over a glass of beer.
    “在可得的數據上所作的仔細分析”…….是我不小心把啤酒翻倒在實驗記錄上時毀掉了三頁數據,所以只剩下這些數據了。

 

發佈留言

發表迴響